Sunday, June 8, 2008

Study Weekend

Haven't been blogging for a few days as I cannot use the Internet at home at all, with exception to Skype. Nevertheless, I used the phone function of Skype to have an enriching 1 hour chat with Mummy a few days ago. The date of departure from Newcastle is getting closer than even before, I have less than 1 month left. But first of all, I need to overcome all the heinous exams which ends on 27th June. There are several things I need to settle before I can leave with a peace of mind. They are closing my Commonwealth Bank Account, getting back the $400 bond from Simon, finishing up the food that I have bought and figuring out how to stuff all the excess baggage into my suitcase. I have purchased a lot of things since I came here, such as a woollen blanket, 2 pairs of shoes, a billabong school bag and not forgetting the numerous souvenirs I got from the Sydney and Tasmania trips. If there is an opportunity in the future, I would like to visit other parts of Australia and maybe New Zealand as well.

I have yet to hand up 2 of my CHEM 3210 lab reports, although Week 14 has whizzed by already. Sent out an email to Bob and he said that the deadline for the acceptance of all lab reports is this Friday. That is such a relief. However, I still encounter several problems in completing the lab reports. Pray that Bob will be in his office on Monday, so that I may seek help from him. Australians and Malaysians have one common trait- they have the culture of completing their academic assignments at the very last minute. To be honest, I have never procrastinated to such a large extent until I came to Newcastle. But, so far, I have adhered to the schedule in my revision timetable. CHEM 3210 and IRHR 1001 are the most challenging modules to study for, as they are very memory intensive. I am exceptionally worried for IRHR 1001, for business modules are neither my forte nor my interest. I don't expect to attain high marks, just 50% will do.

For the past 2 days, I have been going to the AIC to study, because the environment in the house is not conducive enough. Weifun and Oiyin have been popping by everyday and when they interact with the party of 4, the noise level at home becomes intolerable due to their loud talking and joking. I have to resort to sleeping and waking up early at 10pm and 6am respectively to study in the wee hours of the morning. It is only during that time when the house is absolutely quiet and peaceful. I must study in an environment that is as quiet as possible, otherwise I would be distracted and my concentration power will be significantly affected. I have an unusual craving for bread lately. So far, I have bought 2 kinds of bread from the Bytes Cafe in AIC, which are apple and cinnamon bread and banana bread. It is my first time eating bread of such flavours. And they are delicious! There is no place in Newcastle that can beat my home sweet home, in terms of study environment.

Just to backtrack a bit. I met Rachel on Friday and we had an enjoyable KFC lunch together. The crispy fried chicken is heavenly, albeit very sinful. Went to Woolsworth after that to get some groceries. But I forgot to buy eggs! So, I can only get them on next weekend. This weekend is rather boring, because Rachel couldn't come over for a sleepover ; she had to go back to Sydney for a gathering with her extended relatives. However, our weekly outings will resume this coming Saturday. On a totally unrelated note, I have been taking a lot of the free sugar sachets from the Bytes cafe, for I dislike drinking unsweetened Milo. =P

No comments: