Monday, June 30, 2008

Lovely weekend at the Central Coast =)

I had the most memorable weekend ever at the Central Coast with Catherine and Kelly. It is a place where there is abundant lush green trees and azure blue seas. The surroundings is definitely much more beautiful than in Newcastle. It is such pity that this ethereal looking place doesn't seem to be a popular holiday spot for tourists. Highly recommend my friends to come here for an invigorating experience, to completely immerse oneself in the beauty of the natural green and blue hues. Let's backtrack to the events that took place from Saturday onwards now.

After settling down in Catherine's house and surfing the Internet until around 12 pm, we made our way to Avoca Beach for a hearty meal of fried potatoes and Fisherman's platter which consisted of fries,fish and tempura prawns. It is interesting to note that both Kelly and Catherine dislike seafood, and they prefer red meat instead. Their preferences are the totally opposite of mine. We sat down on the sand and watched the majestive white waves rise and sweep across the sand continuously. There were plenty of seagulls in the vicinity as well, and they all gathered in huge group whenever there was people feeding them. Catherine isn't a big fan of seagulls, she asserts that they are nuisances who come and steal your food when you are caught unawares.

We then proceeded on a slight "obstacle'' course. We had to cross several rocks in order to get to the other side of the beach. Luckily, I had sturdy shoes on. And Catherine was a good guide as well, for she consistently turned back and asked if I was okay. I felt a sense of deja vu as I stepped on rock after rock. My friends and I had to pass several rocks before we could reach the peak at Mount Wellington which is in Tasmania. There were several pools among the rocks and both of our shoes got a bit wet. There were some kids running happily in the sand and some men were fishing leisurely. The scenery of the blue waves lapping against the cliffs was breathtaking. I captured several photos of the beach and will be posting them up when I return to Singapore.

Our next destination was Terrigal Beach. There was a line of shops nearby and I purchased some cup mats as souvenirs. Terrigal beach seems to be a more lively area that that of Avoca Beach. A long line of cars were parked along the side of the road. Catherine brought me to the Cold Rock Creamery which was a cut above most other ice-cream shops because they sell a wide range of candies and chocolates which could be blended together with the ice-cream flavour you select. I got myself a regular sized watermelon ice-cream with cherry chocolate. Though it cost $5.20, I was completely all right with it,since the serving was so generous and the saccharine sweet taste was just absolutely tantalizing.

Had a heart to heart talk with Catherine while enjoying our ice-cream. I was amazed at how open she was to me about her life experiences and her views about personal issues such as marriage and love relationships. She is definitely infinitely far from the impressions that I had conjured up about Westerners. It was really pleasing to talk to ther for she accepts you for the opinions you have and shows genuine interest on what you have to say. We left the place at around 4 pm, for she had to get back to prepare for church in the night.

While she was away, I kept myself completely preoccupied with her novel, Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer. The plot was so mesmerizing that I finished 438 pages within 5 hours. Never in my 22 years of life had I finished so many pages in one sitting. The story is about a touching and alluring forbidden love story between a vampire and human. And the positive imagery that Stephenie used is so immensely orgasmic. I certainly cant wait for the movie to come out in December, watching it will serve as a perfect celebration for the completion of 22 ardous weeks at Icipaints. Catherine's dad, Lori came back while I was engrossed in the storyline. He is a really warm and friendly man, the idiom of "a chip of the old block'' holds so very true! He kept reminding me to make myself at home and offered me a sumptuous dinner of fruit pie with cream and stew. We had a small friendly chat before he left for work again. I was certainly impressed and almost overwhelmed by such warm receptive behaviour.

Even when I went to bed, the intriguing plot of Twilight was still fresh in my head. The various positive imagery and the gripping contents were swirling in my mind. No wonder this series is an international best seller. Before the final entrance into la-la land, Catherine reminded me that there might be possums running noisily on the rooftop in the dead of the night, but I do not need to be scared of them as they can't enter the house. She said that possums are parasites, because they like to enter her house surreptitiously and scavenge the kitchen for leftover food. Her description of possums sounds so different from the perceptions I have of those which I had seen in Zoodoo Farm during the Tasmania trip. I had always thought that possums are really furry and cute creatures that hibernate in log holes.

No comments: