Friday, May 23, 2008

Tired and busy days ahead

These days have been really hectic and panicky. All thanks to the inefficiency of Auchmuty resources and things not going smoothly. Called Adam to fix an appointment bud he was only free during the time when I was having CHEM 3210 lab. The perception that Australian is an advanced and efficient country is so untrue now. Couldn't log into Sci Finder Scholar whenever there are too many logins concurrently. The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, Google Scholar and Google provide me with a lot of irrelevant information, except for the exact compound I am looking for. Tell me, how atrocious can things get? Since time is running out, I have no choice but to drag myself to school today to meet Adam, provided he not on leave. Last but not least, it is still impossible to print out PDF files from the library's computer terminals. I can only do it in the Engineering Building. So many things to do and yet I don't know the correct way of getting to complete it. But by hook or by crook, all my assignments must be of a passable standard before passing up.

Yesterday's IRHR 1001 tutorial session was the best one for me ever, for I have never spoken out to give my opinions to Tony and my tutorial mates to such a big extent before. Although, it is still a far cry from the outspoken caucasians. It is the second last tutorial session and want to make up for my poor performances for the past few sessions. Feel more secure if I pass all the components in this module. I must attend the last Monday lecture next week, for Shaun might give tips on the exams. I have only attended his lectures twice, because it is late at night, 6-8 pm. In addition, I can do the readings on my own.

Saw a polarography machine in the first time in my life during CHEM 3210 lab today. Progress was very slow, for I only managed to get 2 polarographs and UV-vis spectras for the macrocyclic complexes. A lot of time was wasted on waiting for the machines to become available. And making up the correct concentration in the volumetric flasks is very tedious, although the calculations might seem simple. Went to Auchmuty library to continue searching for literature, although it was futile, sent an email to Ian requesting for help and blog-hopped until 6 pm.

Had a really late dinner at 10+ pm, because the food required time to thaw despite being soaked in lukewarm water. Also, I was so caught up with work that my hunger pangs vanished. The last time I ate before dinner was at 8 am, more than half a day apart. But I do not feel lethargic or anything, for it is most probably due to my sedentary lifestyle. In a good way, I can go on a diet. Recently, I read about an article about a special kind of program called the Gabriel's Diet, which is about a man who lost more than 100 kg within 6 months without dieting. And he claimed that you can lose weight without controlling your diet by deactivating the fat switch in your body. And one incredulous way to turn off the fat switch is to spend 5 minutes sitting in the sun. In my frankest opinion, I think the degree of difficulty to lose so much weight is to good to be true. Call me old fashioned or traditional, but I firmly believe in the saying: no pain, no gain.

No comments: