Sunday, May 25, 2008

Made of Honour

Turns out that I did not lose my past year papers and lab manuals after all. Because I found them in another compartment of my pink Billabong bag. It was indeed a huge sigh of relief. Spent a couple of hours in Auchmuty yesterday morning, to look for information to do my assignments. It was rather fruitless as usual, but something inside me said that I should not give up, for these assignments will be taken account into the final overall mark that I would get. At night, Catherine gave me a glimmer of hope when she told that she had found the alternate name for the elusive deoxybenzoin oxime. Hopefully with that piece of information, I can its melting point on Sci Finder Scholar on Monday.

Boarded the Glendale bound 101 bus to watch the movie, Made of Honour with Rachel. The buses on weekends only arrive on an hourly basis. So, if we didn't board the same bus, catching the 2.30 pm movie would be impossible. Discovered something really intriguing when the bus passed by one of Newcastle's suburbs, Elermore Vale. It had a lot of road names that were named after the 12 constellation signs in astrology. To be exact, 8 out of the 12 constellation names are used. They are Aries Way, Pisces Avenue, Gemini Avenue, Libra Close, Virgo Street, Leo Close, Taurus Street and Sagittarius Close. Taking the public transport will allow passengers more time to look out for new road names and landmarks, because buses travel more slowly than cars, and they stop periodically. Wouldn't it be cool if I lived in Aries Way? ;)

Reached the bus stop outside Greater Union Cinemas at 1.41 pm. We proceeded to buy the tickets, and I got myself some nuggets and fries, together with sweet chilli sauce. After getting the tickets, Rachel decided to head to the hardware store in the vicinity to get a large reel of thin wire. I felt that the proportion of the nuggets were too small compared to the abundant strips of fries. And the meal cost $6.50. But there isn't much variety for heavy meals in the cinema, only fast food. They also have a candy shop, and I was particularly amused by one type of the sweets, which appeared to resemble human gums and teeth!

Made of Honour is a romantic and light hearted comedy, and I really enjoyed it quite a lot. It is about a pair of best friends who met during their school days and fell in love with each other. Ironically, their first encounters with each other weren't pleasant, for they got into a petty fight because a young Hannah sprayed perfume on Ben, for she mistook the latter for a troublemaker who tried to get fresh with her. However, a decade down the road, they became really close friends. In the end, after a major incident, they tied the knot. The ending and plot are very predictable and simple, but overall, the show gave me a sense of satisfaction after watching it.

Since the next 101 that leads us back to University Drive only comes at 5:51 pm, we decided to make use of the 1 hour allowance to go grocery shopping. Although I had lost my shopping list, I think I managed to get all the edible food that I wanted. However, I realised that I have ran out of shower foam this morning. Guess there ain't any choice but to go get a bottle tomorrow. Rachel thinks that the variety of food at Glendale Woolsworth is wider than that of Jesmond. But I barely notice the difference between the two. Maybe it is because I always managed to get all that I want at both venues without fail.

Rachel has finally found the recipe to making real carbonara sauce. And she prepared it for our dinner yesterday night. She used french onion instant soup, ham, mushroom, chicken and a parsley like vegetable to make the sauce from scratch and drizzle it over Vietnam macoroni. Initially, she was skeptical about whether the macoroni could blend well with the carbonara sauce or not. But her doubts were unfounded when we both enjoyed the final result of her cooking experiment. Fried fish fillets and chicken sausages were our side dishes. However, the chicken sausages looked unappealing after the frying process, for they had disintegrated due to high heat. Nevertheless, both us enjoyed the food and company as usual, on a cool Saturday night. =)

Before we slept, Rachel did up some of her models using cardboard, while I made a rather frail attempt on my CHEM 3310 assignment, all thanks to the distractions outside for Weifun and Oiyin had popped over to cook for the party of 4. Staying with so many people under one roof is no easy feat. I certainly crave for the comfort of my own Jurong East home again. Just another 40 more days to go only, endure!

No comments: