Saturday, May 17, 2008

Bar Beach and Iron Man

Today was terrific! Finally fulfilled my long awaited wish of going to watch Iron Man with Rachel. Before that, we went to Bar beach for a couple of hours. Let's recount the memorable events that happened today.

At about 10.15 am, Rachel arrived at my house. After some chit chatting and preparation, we proceeded to take bus number 101 to Bar Beach. The journey was about 40 minutes and we had to walk for a long time before we reached our exact destination. We encountered a drunkard in a car's passenger seat who ranted at us in a jokingly fashion. Seems that outrageous antics like these are very common in Newcastle. Nevertheless, we just ignored him and continued on our walking. The weather was sunny yet cool. There were a lot of individualistic looking houses in the vicinity of Bar Beach. They came in many hues and designs, which probably stemmed from the owners' creativity juices. Interestingly, we saw many miniature sunflowers on the grass. I must say, they look really cute!

The first we did when we reached Bar Beach was to satisfy our cravings for seafood by going straight to the food kiosk. We ordered a seafood platter for $22 and it was quite worth the price. The variety of food on the platter was rather wide. We had fries, calamari rings, prawns fried in batter and large slices of fish fillets. And of course, not forgetting the tartar sauce and the lemon juice that enhance the taste of the mouth watering seafood. Both of us really ate to our hearts' content. But I felt that the number of calamari rings was far too little, there were only 4 of them. While we were tucking in, we saw several seagulls perching on the tables and walking around. For a peculiar reason, I was really fascinated by them and a fleeting thought passed my mind : I want to keep one of those cute white birds as a pet! But I know that it is not possible, because seagulls are wild and they may get aggressive if you don't satisfy their famished stomachs.

After the satisfying meal, we rested on the cool and sandy shores of the beach. We saw several long and thin ships from afar and families treading in the inviting blue waters. The appearance of Bar Beach, in my opinion, looks rather similar to that of Nobbys Beach. But all beaches are relaxing getaways from the hustle and bustle of the city. Just admiring the crashing waves and the blue hues can have a therapeutic effect on one's mind. And of course, the company does wonders too. Every weekend outing allows us to understand each other better, for we share new things about our past and current lives.

We could only spend a couple of hours there, because we had to leave 1t 2.30 pm to catch Iron Man at 4 pm in Greater Union Theatres. The frequency of the public buses is really low on weekends, which sounds really ironical. Because the streets should be more crowded during on Saturday and Sunday. The journey back to the bus stop seemed shorter, compared to that of from the bus stop to Bar Beach. The breathtaking sights at the beach and the tantalizing seafood platter had probably rejuvenated our spirits, giving us an outburst of energy.

Thankfully, 363 goes to Glendale, otherwise we would not be able to catch Iron Man, yet again! In fact, there are several buses that reach Greater Union Theatres, including 101. I treated her to the movie and each of us bought an ice-cream. The chocolate coating of my raspberry ice-cream is just so addictive, I can never get enough of sweet food. Ironman is an awesome Marvel blockbluster movie. The fast paced and heroic actions kept us enthralled for the whole 2 hours. No wonder so many of my friends gave it good reviews. The ending is great too! Shane, the traitor perished. Pepper and Stark ( Iron Man) became a couple after several emotional tumults. I have set a new record for the frequency of watching movies - this is my 3rd movie in 7 days. Previously, I had watched When It Happens in Vegas and 21 on Tuesday and Thursday respectively.

While waiting for the 6.51 pm 101 bus which stops directly outside the cinema, Rachel and I decided to some quick grocery shopping at Woolworths. I ended up buying more than I had expected. Such as hair rubberbands, cheese and garlic sausages and a dozen pieces of cheese slices. I had lost my thick yellow scrunchie on the way to Bar Beach and I need to tie my hair up for CHEM 3210 lab sessions. The almost biting chill from the wind that blew in our direction while walking home was barely bearable. It is becoming more and more obvious that winter is approaching with each passing day. At Bar Beach, we discovered that the sky looked unusually dark at only 3 pm! Usually in the mid afternoon, it should be blindingly bright instead.

Rachel has never failed to create a storm in the kitchen every weekend, thanks to her overflowing creative juices for experimenting on food "concoctions''. She marinated the chicken dices with garlic,wine,soya sauce and pepper, fried fish fillet and a couple of cheese and garlic sausages with spring onions, stir fried Singaporean noodles and frozen condiments with teriyaki sauce. The end products of her culinary experiments not only smell aromatic, they taste just as good as well! I can never get enough of her cooking. Luckily she only cooks for me weekly,instead of daily, for I have an unusual voracious appetite for her food. And that will result in a happy but chubby Yvonne. Good riddance, as if I am not fat enough already!

For dessert, I had a really fruity tasting yogurt. But for Rachel, she had a boiled apple with cinnamon sticks. This is my first time eating such a dessert and it probably would not be be last. Time sped by when we were joking, bursting out into guffaws, and singing literally any random songs that came to our minds in my room. Before we knew it, it was already 12 midnight. Rachel was kind of exhausted by then, due to the lack of sleep. She is really as busy as a bumble bee, with seemingly endless models to make and assignments to do. So, we can only meet on weekends, until 2nd of June when she will be completely freed from the shackles of academic related matters for the semester. Till then, I shall strive to utilize the time of weekdays to study hard, so that I can unwind and relax without worries on the weekends.

No comments: