Thursday, March 27, 2008

Tomato scrambled eggs

Due to the Easter holidays, all the IRHR 1001 tutorials had been cancelled for the entire week. So, I only had CHEM 3210 lab today, from 1-4 pm. However, I went to school at around 12 pm because I wanted to use the Internet and look for the green engineering reference textbook. Time seems to fly whenever I am surfing the web. Wanted to upload the photos of my Sydney trip on Shutterfly, but it was a futile attempt because the webpage failed to load. This is outrageous, how can the internet connections in school be so excruciatingly bad? And it does not help that the Internet speed at home has gone back to square one, the days before 5th March.

CHEM 3210 lab was okay, for there was a lot of time in the middle to idle as the refluxing took 90 minutes to complete. Chatted with Renee and Robert about how we spent our Easter holidays. Renee and I share the same sentiments : Sydney is too crowded for our liking and we prefer a quieter and more peaceful place like Newcastle. There is a paradox in this opinion, for I absolutely love Singapore despite the high population density. The compounds which I crystallized today came in really beautiful colours, maroon red and purple. The derivatives of transition metal ions come in a wide range of colours, due to the d to d electron transitions.

Went to Auchmuty Library after that to retrieve the green engineering textbook which I had put on short loans. Its contents made me rather disappointed, for Michael's lecture notes were not based on them. Guess I have no choice but to seriously read through his lecture notes and work through the tutorial problems during the weekend. Nevertheless, I still printed several pages for basic reference purposes. On a happier note, Ding told me that Geoff will be resuming his lectures with us after Monday's quiz. I couldn't be any happier. His notes are very extensive and really aid in doing the tutorial problems. Had a late lunch of seafood sensation sandwich from Subway. The meal certainly tastes more palatable without onions and olives.

Weiming helped me to install Bejewelled into my computer when I reached home. It was really patient of him to sit down for almost 20 minutes to get the game up and running on my laptop. The house was surprisingly empty at that time, for Aaron was still having his Biotechnology lab session in school and the couple were in hospital, seeking treatment for Hongjun's recurrent ankle injury. Weiming also offered me a custard chocolate biscuit, a snack which I had never tried before. The Aarons bought a lot of titbits and ready-to-eat food. Thus, I reckon that they will not be shifting out of our house anytime soon. But I have grown used to their presence anyway, so it's totally fine. :)

Hongjun had very kindly asked me if I wanted to go to Jesmond with the party of 4, but I politely declined his offer for I wanted to chat with Chunyin online. Furthermore, my two previous massive shopping sprees had resulted in me having sufficient food to last for another 1 month. Cooked scrambled eggs with half a tomato for a close to 10 pm dinner today. The taste was better than my previous attempt to fry mushroom omelette, because I did not add too much pepper this time round. At night, the living room was exceptionally crowded, for in addition to the party of 4 and me, Sabbath, Alan, Wilson and William were present too. They were all enthralled by the video and warcraft games that Hongjun and the Aarons were playing. I think that the atmosphere at that point was a little bizzare, for it was the first time that so many people congregate in the living room because of the common interest for the Aarons' games. Furthermore, the party of 4 and the other 4 boys are just mere acquaintances only, therefore it is inevitable that there would be an air of awkwardness, stemmed from not being able to talk and laugh freely like when it is just the party of 4 themselves present.

I think the flu bug is circulating in the air within our house. Previously, it was just Hongjun who sneezes badly whenever he wakes up to the cold morning air. Now, I hear Aaron sneezing more often than usual as well. Hopefully my Berocca supplement can endow me with an immune system strong enough to defeat the nasty flu virus. According to recent observations, I think that Hongjun is quite pitiful, having an ulcer, a recurrent injury and a cold. Hope he gets well soon.

No comments: