Tuesday, June 24, 2008

2 down 2 more to go

I just had my CHEM 3310, Molecular Organic Synthesis paper yesterday. It was relatively all right, although I could barely finish the paper and there were a few questions that I left blanket because I hadn't got a clue to tackle them at all. We were given a mere 120 minutes to finish the paper which was worth 120 marks. Most of my coursemates were commenting that more time should be given. Nevertheless, I am rather satisfied with my performance, and this paper was definitely way better than that of IRHR 1001.

Finally, I can throw all the contents of Organic Chemistry out of my head and concentrate on CHEM 3210, Organometallic Chemistry revision. But it is quite hard to imprint its contents into my brain, so I have to read through the lecture notes several times. The issue of the missing lab report is still bugging me, for Renee has not responded to my smses and calls. Let' hope Bob will be lenient in the grading of our lab reports. According to Catherine, the Chemistry department places great emphasis of lab reports, even more so than the exams. If you do not hand up ALL your lab reports and attain a overall mark of at least 50%, you will definitely fail the entire course. The Australians believe that having competent lab skills is essential to the practicalities of the working life in the chemical industry. This is so unlike Singapore, where we are pressure fed with heaps of theories.

The amount of credits remaining in my Australian simcard is a measly 87 cents. That means that I can only afford to send out 3 text messages, for each of them costs 25 cents. I feel as if that I have been cut off from all modes of communication with my loved ones back home and the friends I have made here. I used to be able to use Skype despite the non existent Internet connection, but it is no longer possible now. But it doesn't matter very much now, for I am leaving in just 8 days. =) I have already enquired about the express courier service at the bookshop in Shortland Union and will probably send mi textbooks,lecture notes,files and some other items by air mail. The textbooks may make my Pierre Cardin luggage bag burst due to their weight.

My life has been mundane these days, for it just revolves around studying for exams and going to school regularly to use the Internet. And working on finishing all the remaining food that I have. Right now, I am at Aili's house typing this post. She is leaving for a 3 week holiday trip to Melbourne, Adelaide and Tasmania with 3 other male friends. And she even gave me a lovely present- a red, smooth textured batik skirt from Malaysia. I think I can wear it over my shorts at home, whenever the mood strikes me. Finally, I got to communicate with Alan via MSN. Guess I won't be seeing him before I leave since he is already back home in Stratsfield, Sydney. However, there is still MSN to rely on, in tandem with the unlimited Internet access in Singapore. :)

No comments: