I am typing this post at Rachel's host homestay house right now. His name is Chris and he is an amicable and generous man. He has a really adorable 7 year old son, Jayden who is very outspoken for his age. Chris cooked spaghetti for Rachel and I and it was awesome. He added an exotic mix of ingredients to it, such as lemon juice and raspberry flavouring. Needless to say, I had a lion's share. It is my very first time staying over at a friend's place in Newcastle. And it is indeed an exhilarating experience. Everything that my eyes took in yesterday was just so breathtaking. My 5 senses were never stimulated to such a great extent before. The design of Chris's house is so intriguing, he actually built it from scratch and it took him a few months, which in my opinion, is very fast. The rooms are so elaborately designed and hues of the house never fail to exude a cosy and therapeutic aura to visitors. In a nutshell, it is a stark contrast to my fuddy duddy house in North Lambton. But the downfall of the house will be its location, Rachel and I had to undergo an ardous 40 minute walk from Faulkner Crescent. In addition to the distance, we had to overcome steep gradients which made me sweat, pant and itch.
But all the tiredness was definitely worth it, for I got to admire the lovely sunset and the picturesque scenery surrounding the house as well. I felt as if that I have stepped into another realm, instead of merely stepping into another part of Newcastle. Now, I disagree with the common saying that Newcastle is boring. There are numerous pristine bridges, beautiful parks, shopping haunts and food that tantalize your tastebuds. You just have to more adventurous and go all out to explore this tiny city, which only has a land area of less than 300 km square. Will be going to Blue Water Pizza for lunch and watch the blockbuster movie, Ironman at Glendale. This will be the first time I travel for long distances on my own, without depending on Aaron's car. And that is enough to get me all excited. Not to mention, the awesome company from Rachel. We had a heart to heart talk for several hours last night, and found out much more things about her, such her past experiences and life and her opinions about random issues. From the chats, I realised that we have quite a lot of experiences and personality traits in common. It is liberating to interact with someone whom you can connect with. Because that person would accept your personality wholeheartedly, instead of judging you by your actions. We also listened to many songs on youtube. Which brings me to another point, her Internet Connection speed is very much less problematic than mine. Songs stream at breakneck speed and it only takes a jiffy for webpages to finish loading.
Rachel's bed is really inviting, with respect to the warm brown hues of the pillows,blanket and the size. It is a queen sized bed which could accomodate 2 people, and still have space allowances for turning and tossing. She even has a personal toilet, which was very spacious and had an intriguing design, with black and white tiles. Chris is indeed a very hospitable host, to provide her with such a lovely bedroom. The price she pays per week might be quite a lot more expensive than mine, but the level of comfort she gets to enjoy definitely makes up for it. There is an infinitely big difference between a house used for rental purposes and for a home. It is such a pity that my camera batteries went flat, otherwise I could have snapped numerous photographs of Chris's magnificent home. I hereby declare that the fruit cum nuts and banana bars are absolutely awesome, for they are sweet but yet healthy.
All of a sudden, I crave for numerous materialistic things, such as the mouth watering calamari rings at Blue Water Pizza, a manicure cum pedicure, nice funky boots, cosmetic contact lenses a new hair colour and exploring the nooks and crannies of Newcastle. I guess deep down inside, I want to shed my boring, plain jean exterior. It is perfectly natural for a young woman to want to look pretty, isn't it? On a total unrelated note, I discovered that Rachel has the interesting ability to sleep through numerous loud handphone alarms. Her Dad will be coming to Newcastle on the 21st June, which means that I should try to spend as much quality time with her possible for the next upcoming weeks. However, that does not mean that I would not devote time to study for my examinations.
I got one wish before I depart for Singapore. Which is to go Nelson Bay, one of the most prominent tourist attractions in Newcastle. And maybe Anna Bay too, because there is a new sport which I can try, sandboarding ! Apparently, a majority of the Malaysian people I know have tried out that sport and they seemed to enjoy it, which is evidenced from the cheery expressions in the photographs they put up on their blogs. Reading others' blogs can be considered as one of my interests now, for it can aid you in broadening your horizons about new places, albeit in a subtle way.
Saturday, May 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment