Sunday, May 4, 2008

Darby Raj and Newcastle City Council

Today was another enjoyable day with Rachel. We slept between 12 midnight to 1 am and it was the first time I shared a single bed with a friend. It was a little squeezy but I still managed to have a good night's rest. Had pancakes with butter for breakfast. The pancakes I bought this time around taste better than the previous batch. Gave Rachel one of my organic fruit bars before she rushed to attend Church. And she said that it was one the nicest bars she had ever tasted. Guess the hefty price of $2.50 is quite worth it afterall.

Rachel came back from church at 11+ am and she helped me comb and style my hair again. The feeling is very therapeutic,analogous to a massage. She said that I should experiment different hairstyles on my thin and smooth textured locks. Shall try that when I get back to Singapore, because I did not bring any beauty accessories to Newcastle. Rachel really has a lot of songs in her external hard disk, and I transferred more than 60 of her songs into my computer. From now on, I would not need to be so dependent on the Internet to listen to music anymore. And, the bandwidth has just been renewed. But I reckon that it will be used up within 3 weeks from past experiences. Hopefully, it will be an exception this time!

Got to find out a lot of fascinating facts about Rachel. She was actually born in Paddington, which is a suburb of Sydney. All along, I thought that she was born in KL. And she may get an Australian citizenship in the near future, since her HK born mother migrated to Australia when she was a teenager. Not to mention, she has great taste in clothes, wide knowledge on fashion and really good with hands-on activities, such as cooking and giving me exotic hairstyles. I feel honoured about the fact that she shares a lot of insights and innermost thoughts with me. I dare to say that her maturity level is no lower than mine, if not, higher.

We took 108 for lunch at Darby Raj at around 1 pm. As usual, we chatted almost non stop throughout the whole journey. Rachel's presence really brings out the humourous and cheerful side of me. I haven't laughed so hard and felt so optimistic in the longest time ever. Most of the time, the acute loneliness and apprehension did nothing but fuel the negative thoughts in my mind. Like Weiming, she has no exams, and will go back to Malaysia on 24th June. =( But I believe true friendship can withstand physical separation, for we still can be around each other spiritually.

We shared a wholesome lunch of butter chicken,beef and vegetables with rice, garlic naan and chicken samosa. And the price was very reasonable at $9 per person. But the variety wasn't that wide, for there were no thosais,roti johns and roti pratas. The afternoon was chilly despite the sun rays penetrating through the trees. And the sun showed signs of setting although it was just 4 pm. After eating to out hearts' content, we adjourned to Newcastle City Centre where we took several photos of the serene looking parks and other structures with intriguing designs. The large patch of grass looked very inviting for picnics. I felt as if that I had been transported to another realm, and that gave me a feeling that was oh-so-surreal. It is probably due to the fact that this one of the rare times I get to explore more of Newcastle city with such fantastic company. And I could take my own sweet time to enjoy the subtly wonderful surroundings that Newcastle has to offer.

As the saying goes,all good things must come to an end. We left the place reluctantly and took 101 back to our respective homes. A natural smile never fails to curve up on my face as I reminisce of this eventful weekend. So many unexpected and pleasant surprises and incidents have happened. I have never envisaged that I would get to know 3 more Singaporean friends and chat with some of them on MSN so comfortably, in a mere span of 2 days! Zhaowei and Durrah are the other 2 Singaporeans I have befriended and both are committee members of the UoN Singaporean Society. They are from Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering respectively. And Durrah was allowed to enter the 3rd year of her major directly. Back in NUS and NTU, she was only allowed to go direct into 2nd year, with her diploma. It is indeed an ecstatic feeling to make more friends, especially with your fellow countrymen. :)

No comments: