Thursday, March 13, 2008

One month in Newcastle

Today was the start of participation grading during IRHR 1001 tutorial. First of all, we split up into groups of 4 to discuss about organizational culture of 4 various countries. My group was assigned with the task of coming up with ideas to cope with the cultural transition if a manager and his family were to move to Korea for job purposes. I could not contribute very much because I absolutely had no inkling about Korean culture. I could only give very general comments in the group discussion process. Luckily, my discussion mates thought the same way as I did too. At least, I did not feel as if I was the odd one out. Managed to present my points to the class, but I only spoke out to address the discussion questions when Tony prompted me to do so. Nevertheless, I felt that I could at least attain a passing grade for this tutorial session because I contributed something. Shall strive to participate more actively in the next round.

Had a lot of things 2 print from Auchmuty library today. Met Cherlyn and Keegan there as well. As usual, the computer terminals were all fully occupied. I only managed to grab a seat when it was about 15 minutes to the start of CHEM 3210 lab. Observed the fact that CHEM 3210 and CHEM 3310 changed their lecturers during the same week. Hopefully they are as nice as Robert and Adam.

Was punctual for CHEM 3210 lab again, and miraculously, the session went smoothly! I think it was because I frequently asked Geoff and Robert for assistance and they very kindly and patiently obliged me. Did not panic or spill anything today. But my However, I have a inorganic paper literature review to do. But it's only due on 2nd May, so I can take my own sweet time to complete it. And, lab reports need not be handed up weekly, like CHEM 3310, it is own time own target, just make sure that all the lab reports reach the demonstrators by Week 14. Today marks the end of Week 4 lessons, at least for me :) Something I found out from lab today, triethylamine is a putrid smelling chemical, resembling the odour of rotten fish. Well, cant be helped. Its is perfectly normal for an organic lab to be filled with noxious odours.

Stir fried yellow noodles with frozen vegetables,mushrooms and fishcakes today. The noodles seem little in comparison to the ingredients. Nevertheless, I liked the dish that I cooked. Now, I make an effort to ensure that the 3 meals I eat a day contain vegetables and fruits. Huifang has agreed on the idea of sharing our green and red beans with one another to boil soup. It is economical because I will not need to buy another whole packet of green beans.

Strive to start working on my Green Engineering assignment due next Tuesday tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to understand Geoff Evan's lecture notes!

No comments: