Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lookalikes! Typing in Auchmuty Library

Hey all. Some more things I observed during the first day of school yesterday. I am impressed with the printing system in Auchmuty Library. We will never lose our notes because in front of each set that we print, there will be a cover page stating our user ID. And if we do not manage 2 collect our notes immediately, the whole stack of them with the cover page will be placed conspicuously on the table. UoN's walls are made up of mostly bricks. There are many Caucasian students walking around, with very few Asian students. Lectures start punctually on the dot and release us around 10-15 minutes earlier. The blackboard system where we get our notes is similar to that of edventure. We do not need textbooks for CHEE 2931,CHEM 3210 and CHEM 3310.Hopefully.

Went out for dinner at the House of Peking again, with my housemates plus a whole lot of other Malaysians from UoN Biotechnology, Nutrition and Dietetics and Biomedical Science. Again, all of them seemed to know each other for years, from the easy way they talk with one another. Needless to say, I am the only Singaporean and the oldest AGAIN. I guess this cycle will keep repeating and repeating. And guess what, I met another 2 more lookalikes to people I know. Did not know that the DNA of Singaporeans and Malaysians can be so similar huh. William looks like Jonathan from the Gen X camp ( but their age gap is 6 years). Oi Yin reminds me of Jin Yue ( Serene's friend ) and a Singaporean boy who stays in Bowie's new house looks like a young Wang Desheng ( those who took MAS 181 will know ). Wah, isn't that fascinating? Chatted quite a bit with Eric, Hongjun's ex room mate. He's very friendly and easy to chat with. How I wish everyone was like him! Dinner consisted of Shandong chicken, lemon chicken, black bean chicken, prawns vegetables with mushroom together with plain rice. The dinner is marvellous yet cheap, only $10 per person.

Proceeded to Bowie's new house after that to look at the place and help her unpack her luggage. Her house is rather beautiful, with lovely wallpapers and comfortable big beds.But there is no dining room or living room. The house looks empty and clean. A friendly 1st year medicine student, Keegan, came out to entertain us. He is a Singaporean Chinese but speaks with an Australian accent. He has stayed in Sydney for 19 years of his life. I also felt quite comfortable interacting with him. His parents also stays in the house. But the downside to this house, is its location. It is very much further away from UoN's faculty buildings as compared to our house in Faulkner Crescent. But it is very near to the hostels in UoN.The 2 Aarons and Jason spent a considerable amount of time shifting all their belongings from the storage room to the new house. Hongjun helped Bowie install an anti virus system in her computer. Gleeful giggles and loud chatters filled the entire house. But sad to say, I was standing around in stony silence. I was starting to feel alienated, like an outcast. Went out into the open to get some fresh air and got several mosquito stings as a result. Luckily, by this morning, most of it had subsided, thanks to the tiger balm.

Reached home late and did not shower, for the fear of getting "feng shi''. Chatted a bit with Mummy and went off to sleep. Showed her the photo of Aaron Kong and she said that his eyes and spectacles resemble Clarissa,albeit the former having a bigger nose. The more I think of it, the more I feel like giggling. Even Clarissa does not look so similar to Charissa.I could sleep very well this time, the best so far, thanks to Bowie's blanket which she had very kindly lent me.

Back to school issue, I discovered a sheltered path from the Chemistry building to the Auchmuty Library, just by following the students. Shiok for the first week, as labs and tutorials only start in Week 2.Will continue later at night if the Internet connection is up and running. Wonder if it is still drizzling like half an hour ago. Going home now ! Bye !

No comments: